Friday, July 8, 2011

T-Minus 2 days...

... until I leave the country for the first time in my enitre life. Some plans have changed since I first posted back in June: my mom, my brother, and I are now leaving for Oxford on the 10th, and are then meeting my dad in London on the 13th. The Oxford trip was actually pretty spontaneous; my mom had to do some work in Oxford at some point during the summer and decided to make it apart of our trip. Both my brother and I have never left the country, and while my mom is working, we'll be left to explore most of Oxford by ourselves. Now this would be pretty scary for any other 14 and 18 year old kid, but my brother and I have tagged along with my mom on several other trips like this one. We've explored most of Oahu, Hawaii as well as Disney World without parents, but this will be our first time doing it in another country.

So yeah, I'm a little nervous. Luckily we're being dumped in a country where we speak the same language, and Oxford isn't exactly the ghetto so we're safe walking around by ourselves. I'm looking forward to exploring Christ Church where the Harry Potter movies were filmed, dressed in my Hogwarts attire (c'mon, there's no way I would pass up an opportunity like that) and wandering around the Botanic Gardens of the University. In the meantime, I should probably study my dollar to pound conversions and brush up on my British culture (because I don't think Doctor Who and Harry Potter will quite cut it.) However, until then I need to finish cramming two weeks worth of clothes into a carry-on size suitcase... help me.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck travelling!! I'm going to London for the first time next week, flying all the way from New Zealand (yeah that flight's going to be fun...). I'm staying for three months so should have lots of time to see things, if only I knew what to see!!
    Please do keep us in the loop with your little adventure: where to go, what to see, how awesome it all is!
    I presume you won't still be there for Summer In The City in August? That's sad, I'd have loved to have met you but probably never will!! Damn YouTubers being so geographically spread!

    P.S. your 'British dress' is adorable!

    ReplyDelete