Monday, July 18, 2011

Hogwarts is home

I was six years old when I was first introduced to Harry Potter. It was 1998 and the Sorcerer's Stone had only recently been released. It was with my mom in my bed that I read the first words to the book that quickly become an enormous part of my childhood. And it was sitting next to my mom in the Odeon Theater in Leicester Sqaure, thousands of miles from my six year old home, that I watched the final scenes of that same series come to a close.

Honestly, I was not expecting to feel like this at all. I thought maybe I would get a little tear-eyed at the opening logo, and it would be the worst at Fred's death (After warning: SPOILERS). Wrong. I totally lost it. My mom saw it, hugged me, and wouldn't let go for a solid 10 minutes as the credits rolled and the same theme music that brought so many memories along with it played over us. And I wouldn't have wanted it to happen any other way.

I don't mean it lightly when I say that Harry Potter was a huge part of my childhood. Harry Potter is the reason I was so enthusiastic about reading at a young age, and why that passion is still present in me today. It's the reason I met my best friend in the second grade, and why we're still best friends even though she lives on the other side of the country. Harry Potter has taught me so much about friendship, bravery, and the power of your imagination. So many of my best memories revolve around Harry Potter movie premieres, book releases, or even running around at recess shouting spells, sticks in hand.

I'll admit, I was pretty bummed when I found out I wasn't going to be at home when the final film was going to be released. I mean, I can't complain. I was in freaking London, but I had so many fantastic memories of waiting in line for the premieres with my friends, and I  couldn't help but think that I would never be able to do that again. Regardless of the fact that I was with my family, I couldn't help but feel a little alone. There were no die hard fans in sight, I seemed to be the only one sporting the slightest bit of Hogwarts gear, and there were only a few sniffles when the movie got quiet. When the film let out, it was pouring rain outside and naturally the Californian family forgot their umbrellas. However, we weren't the only ones. Standing by the window at the Odeon, I turned my head and smiled at a girl standing next to me who looked about my age and equally distraught. By chance (and some eavesdropping), we found out that she and her mom were also from California. This made me think of what JK Rowling said at the Deathly Hallows premiere, "Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home." Thousands of miles from the bed I was first introduced to Harry Potter in, I found a sense of comfort from a girl who traveled the same exact distance and had just experienced the same rush of emotions that came from watching the finale of something that had been your childhood. It's like my mom always says, "No matter where you go, there you are."

No comments:

Post a Comment